Honda is a popular vehicle manufacturer. It has a few generations of cars. We will consider 4 generations: seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth. You can solve some Honda issues easily at home. For instance, you can learn how to reset maintenance light on Honda Accord yourself.
The best time to reset is when you have replaced the filter or oil on your car. Moreover, an authorized dealer can help you do this work as part of their car maintenance service. However, if you are far from the dealer, you can personally reset the light or approach a mechanic.
- 1 How to reset maintenance light on Honda Accord – 7th generation
- 2 The process for resetting the maintenance oil light
- 3 How to reset oil light on Honda Accord- 8th generation
- 4 How to reset oil light on Honda Accord- 9th generation?
- 5 How to reset oil light on Honda Accord- 10th generation
- 6 When does your Honda Vehicle need servicing?
- 7 How To Reset Maintenance Light On Honda Accord – Conclusion
How to reset maintenance light on Honda Accord – 7th generation
The release date
The seventh-generation auto was a Honda Civic. The manufacturer made it for five years, starting from the year 2000 and ending in 2005. Additionally, Honda Civic first emerged in September 2000 as a model for 2001.
It had exterior dimensions that looked similar to its predecessor’s. To boot, its interior space was bigger and the rear floor was flat. Hence, Honda Civic rear seat for passengers was more comfortable.
Do you know: How long does a honda civic lasts?
More background information
While the 4th and 6th generation autos had the front double wishbone suspension, the 7th did not. Instead, it offered a Macpherson strut. This auto model became the last to provide 4-wheel drive variants. When it came to be in 2000, Honda Civic was the car of the year in Japan. It won yet another award in 2001.
What is more, the 2005 models that appeared on the market in 2004 had new taillights. These would form a ring when illuminated. Additionally, these models had new wheel designs and improved dials.
The bumper, headlights, grille, and side skirts were all new. The Honda Civic for 2005 got a body-colored hood and trunk trim. Also, in September 2004, the same 2005 model year’s autos got the LX or EX Special Edition trim.
Furthermore, there was the hybrid version for North America. It made its way there from Japan in the spring of 2002. This was a 2003 model. The car had auxiliary electric motors and a tiny 1.3-liter 14 main gasoline engine.
Both of these produced up to 93hp. In addition, the electric motors used power from an array of batteries. These charged through regenerative braking when you decelerated, leading to reduced exhaust emissions.
The hybrid version also featured lightweight wheels, a unique front bumper, aerodynamic enhancements underneath, and a rear spoiler. There was a sports hatchback model that emerged in August 2005. Moreover, it was meant for the European market.
Beginning with the 7th generation, Honda introduced cabin air filters or pollen filters. They began to install them as standard equipment behind the glove compartment.
The process for resetting the maintenance oil light
- Push the Reset button and then hold it down. This button is on the gauge cluster
- Turn the ignition on partly. This is the slot located before Start. Don’t start the engine though.
- Keep pressing down the Trip Reset button
- The light should flash for ten seconds
- This light will then stop blinking.
How to reset oil light on Honda Accord- 8th generation
The Honda Accord (2008-2012) emerged in 1976. Initially, the car appeared in the compact hatchbacks category. Now it is in the medium cars category. Moreover, the marketing of the eight-generation autos began in 2008 and ended in 2012.
If the maintenance service warning light appears constantly, reset it. Prior to this, change the car oil and/or filter. When you finish, change the settings. Depending on your car model, techniques on how to reset maintenance lights on Honda Accord are available.
The best way to reset the maintenance oil light
- Turn on the ignition, but do not start the engine. You should stop at one position before you start the engine.
- Press Select/Reset repeatedly. Once the engine oil life indicator appears on the screen, stop.
- Press Select/Reset for more than ten seconds. The engine oil maintenance codes and life indicators will flash.
- Press the Select/Reset button for extra five seconds. This will cause the maintenance items code to go away. The life indicator will then reset to one 100 percent.
- Turn off the ignition and start the engine. This will help you verify if the resetting process has ended well. If something goes wrong, repeat the process.
How to reset oil light on Honda Accord- 9th generation?
The marketing of the ninth generation of Honda Accord started in 2013 and stopped in 2017. The North American version of the 9th generation Honda Accord was larger. It became the only version in production while they stopped the smaller version for Europe and Japanese markets.
As well, the hybrid version became the flagship of the manufacturer’s automotive products. It is now available on many worldwide markets that had received the smaller version.
More background information
The 9th generation Accord boasts the new Earth Dreams 2.4-liter 16-valve DOHC four-cylinder engine. The manufacturer’s focus was on fuel economy, ride quality, and ride comfort. Furthermore, the auto has a totally new front suspension and a rear suspension with a multi-link suspension.
The auto body consists of 55.8 percent high-strength steel. Also, the front sub-frame that was earlier made of steel now consists of aluminum and steel components. You can reset the engine oil life in two ways in a 9th generation auto. Based on your car type, do the following:
This will work if your car has a multi-function display and control buttons on its steering wheel. So, carry out the following steps in about seven minutes:
- Turn on the ignition without starting the Accord engine. If the car uses the keyless starting system, then press the Engine’s Start-Stop button twice. Don’t press the brake pedal.
- Proceed to Vehicle Settings Menu and push the i▲▼ button repeatedly. Next, press the Select/Reset button on your steering wheel.
- Find and choose Maintenance Reset. Use the i▲▼ button to set the menu. Then press the Select/Reset button to select.
- Select Reset to start the oil life reset.
- Finish the exercise.
Method 2: use the Cluster Button
- Turn on the ignition and do not start the engine.
- Press the Select/Reset Knob. Check it on the Instrument Cluster. Press it over and over until you see Oil Life on the screen.
- Push the knob until you see the Oil Life flashing.
- Press, hold down and stop when you notice the Oil Life percentage reset to 100 percent.
It is up to you to select the right method.
How to reset oil light on Honda Accord- 10th generation
The 10th generation Honda Civic car has a sportier fastback style. Its body consists of higher grade steel than its predecessor. In addition, the unit body weight is 31kg lightweight than the old models. This auto’s center of gravity has been reduced to 15mm.
Furthermore, the Civic introduces a dual-pinion steering system. For a better steering feel, the wheel has a more rigid diameter of 30mm. The external features of the car include C-shaped LED taillights and LED DRLs. On top, the car possesses a unique set of headlamps and a rear wing spoiler.
Honda made Sedan for the North American Market. It came out on YouTube Space LA on September 16th, 2015. There are mainly two engine options. One is an aspirated 2.0-liter 14 engine. Further, it is available as a CTV transmission or a six-speed manual.
Next, there is the l.5-liter turbocharged direct-injected 14 engine. Furthermore, it has a CTV transmission and a 6-speed manual transmission on the EX-T only. Also, the first engine option boasts better fuel economy.
Civic Concept model emerged at an auto show in New York in April 2015. The production Coupe came much later in November at an auto show in Los Angeles. Similar to the Sedan, Coupe came with two engine formats. After the 2020 model year, they will stop Coupe production.
The Civic Hatchback Prototype auto emerged at a 2016 motor show event in Geneva. Later on, the production Hatchback emerged during a 2016 auto show in Paris. The Hatchback is a joint production of Honda R&D teams in Japan and Europe.
What is more, they made it in a Swindon plant in the UK. The sales for this model in the US began in September 2016. More to the point, the models available to the Americans consist of a 1.5-liter turbo engine of 174hp or 180hp.
These engines offer the option of a 6-speed manual or a CVT transmission. The European models became available for sale in early 2017. They offered a choice of 3 engines: 1-liter turbo, 1.5-liter turbo, and 1.6-liter turbo. Likewise, these engines offered a CVT transmission or a 6-speed manual option.
The Performance models
The Civic Si Prototype cropped up in November 2016 at a motor show in Los Angeles. This car features a turbocharged, 1.5-liter engine with a 6-speed manual option. In addition, the model includes active steering, a limited-slip differential, an active shock absorber, and more.
The Type R Prototype came out at the same time as the Production Hatchback at a motor show held in Paris. It had the same appearance as the Hatchback, especially the body, but had better effects. For instance, the Type R Prototype has 20-inch piano black alloy wheels, a large rear spoiler, and a carbon fiber front splitter.
The vehicle uses a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four engine. In addition, it is capable of generating 295 pound-feet of torque and 306 horsepower. Fuel consumption is 25miles per gallon. Lastly, the 10th generation models’ marketing began in 2018 and will run until 2021.
The process of resetting oil light
- Switch on the ignition. Ensure that you don’t start the engine
- Press the Home button next
- Push the Left Selector Wheel button down to locate the Menu
- Choose Maintenance menu
- Hold down the Left Selector Wheel until you notice the reset mode on your screen
- Scroll down so as to choose a maintenance item you want to reset
- Select All Due Items
- Press the Left Selector Wheel to start the oil reset.
- The process comes to an end.
When does your Honda Vehicle need servicing?
If you are not a technical person by nature, you would not know when to service your car. To help you know when to do this, Honda decided to include the Service Reminder System in all its autos.
What is Service Reminder System?
This system is for monitoring your driving conditions. It is able to compute when the next maintenance service is due. Your car will send an alert with a visual warning light. It will also tell you the kind of service it requires by showing you a series of codes.
The warning indicator is yellow and looks like a spanner. It will offer 30 days of consistent service. If this system develops a problem, call an authorized Honda Dealer.
The dealer can figure out the problem with your Service Reminder System. Once they repair it, you will always know when to maintain your car. Moreover, you will never miss the chance to reset the engine oil maintenance light.
How To Reset Maintenance Light On Honda Accord – Conclusion
Now you know how to reset maintenance light on Honda Accord vehicle. The information shared above suits Honda Accord autos marketed from the year 2000 to 2021. If you own a car from any of these model years, this information can help.
Besides, if you fail after carrying out our steps, call a Honda Dealer who is authorized. Chances are that your auto needs further servicing. As aforementioned, a reset exercise is important after every filter or oil change. Moreover, you can organize this to happen during scheduled servicing.
If you cannot do this personally, let the mechanic who maintains your auto help you. Further, if you need extra help, call an authorized dealer from Honda. It is prudent to engage an authentic dealer if you have access to them in your area. This is all from our How To Reset Maintenance Light On Honda Accord article.